Tuesday, June 30, 2009

I cannot believe June is over....

Are you kidding me? I swear it seems like the kids just got out of school!! How could this month have flown by without me even noticing it....

We have had a fun filled month with something going on just about every day. The boys had their check-ups with the doctor. Isaac stressed about this for weeks in advance because he had to have his "jr. high" shots. After they were done he felt a little goofy considering they didn't really hurt at all. I warned Jake ahead of time to please not say anything to embarrass me in front of the doctor. I know that sounds really mean, but if you knew Jake you would understand why I had this little "discussion" with him. And to drive the point home, this is the way the conversation went when the doctor discussed eating habits with Jake.

Dr.- So Jake, what kind of foods do you like?

Jake- Candy

Dr.- But you eat healthy things too right? Like vegetables and fruit?

Jake- No. (and by the way, this is totally untrue... considering one of his favorite snacks is apples and would eat 10 a day if I would let him but I don't because I worry about the whole bathroom issue with too many apples.. and as far as veggies go, he is the best vegetable eater in our family and loves broccoli, cauliflower and salad and will eat them at every meal when offered.)

Dr.- You know it's not good for you to eat candy all of the time though right... just a little bit at a time.

Me-- (yes.... I interjected at this point because I didn't want this doctor thinking I was an inattentive parent that let my kids gorge on crap all day.) Jake loves veggies and only eats sweets in moderation.

Jake- except when I sneak into the pantry when you aren't looking and eat cookies and candy.

During this entire conversation I gave Jake what I thought was the "I'm going to kill you when we get home look" but it didn't seem to phase Jake one bit.

So there is the doctors appointment that just about ruined my relationship with my middle child. Just kidding... Well sort of.

Moving on into the month..... My sister Melanie came into town with her kids and we had a blast. They stayed with us for two nights and we stayed up late talking, playing cards and let the kids run wild. Then during the next week we went to the zoo, Grandma's house and Wheeler farm. I got some great pictures of her kids (see my photo blog) who are some of the sweetest kids on the planet. They were so easy to photograph and are all so photogenic! It was a great visit and made me sad that neither of my sisters live in the same state as me. I miss them so much!

Jay's Mom came into town on the 18th and left this morning.. I love having her visit! It is so nice to have an adult to talk to during the day... (not that Sophie isn't a great conversationalist) but it is always so great to have Grandma around. We went to see the movie Up (which i cried through and got made fun of), went to Gardner Village (where Sophie had her first pony ride), the zoo, the Tooele Arts Festival and the Salt Lake Arts Festival and played cards. The kids loved having her here and Sophie loved having another adult willing to read stories or be bossed around. Jay and I even got to go out to dinner and see My Sister's Keeper (which I cried through) for the first time in over a year!! Woohoo!! It was ten days of fun and we were very sad to see her go. I waited until she got out of the car and walked away at the airport before I burst into tears on the way home. I sound really emotional after reading this post back through but I promise I'm not. Ask my husband... I rarely cry but for some reason I was a huge emotional wreck this week.

The boys are out of town until tomorrow and Jay and Sophie are at the store so I figured I would try to catch up on the last month of activites. We had a great month and I'm sad that it was over so quickly!!

xoxo
M

1 comments:

Monica

hey!!
my bday is coming up and i want to see you and jay! are you guys busy this weekend?